Skip to content

Steamy hot days, and wood splinters.

July 31, 2011

Finally got the AC running (pathetic little thing that it is, works fine on cool days but sucks when its really needed) and have been bashing away at removing all the interior on the port side. The galley is now history, and after removing it I can see where the main water tank is up under the port side deck. I swear I’ve never seen such an odd way of building things, the number and type of fasteners is still the strangest I’ve ever seen. Yesterdays piece d’ resistance was a 2×4 held in with 4×3 inch lag bolts.

One thing I have noticed is the difference between materials 30 years ago and now. The fellow who built this interior didn’t spring for marine grade lumber, he used the standard stuff available in lumber yards of the time. The quality is quite noticeable compared to the crap that comes out of Home Depot today. The plywood for instance is good on both sides, with minimal voids and good quality glues. Todays stuff is mediocre one side, lots of voids and will delaminate after two or three rain showers. I tried to reuse some of the 2x2s on the AC frame and found that the material then was a good 1/8 inch larger in all dimensions. Not to mention it was all one piece, not the scarfed together bits n piece that nowadays pass for a 2×2 or 2×4.

I’ve exposed a goodly part of the electrical system, at least all the wiring in the engine bay and galley area. I cringe when I look at it. All 2 conductor house wiring, with some extension cord and some odds n  sods of solid copper wiring. Next time I’m at the boat I’ll bring along a pair of side cutters and start yanking out chunks. I can see a rewiring is in the books.

I’m still debating on whether or not to rip out the starboard side settee and the chart table/icebox at this time. I suppose it will have to go, I can’t get at the fuel tank without removing all that stuff. But the important part, access to the engine is now wide open so I can start to consider how to get that pig of a Volvo out of its lair and on deck.  The cruiser beside me has finally been taken away so the forklift with extensions should reach over the hatch quite nicely. I just hope it has enough lift. At 14 feet to the top of the cockpit coaming, its pushing the limits of  our lift. I may have to weld up a gantry that fits on the forks like we use in the construction business. It will give me an extra 5 feet of lift. Anyway you put it, the lift will be done in 3 stages, Mounts to cabin floor, cabin floor to cockpit seats and then up and out. The first bit should be easy, a simple 4×4 across the hatch opening will suffice.

Interestingly, I found evidence of a fire behind the galley cabinetry.  Seems that at some point the hot water heater caught fire, as I found melted insulation and charred wood in that area. It also explains why they  listed a hot water heater with the boat but none was there.

So things are progressing. The new engine is supposed to be shipped on the 5th of August, which means I have to get the banking taken care of and then go clear it through Customs. By the time it’s all paid for, I’m looking at $11,500 for the engine. Not too shabby for a brand new 38hp diesel.

I

From → Meat n Taters

One Comment
  1. Peter, Marc from s/v Alchemy here. It backs up your contention on the quality of today’s lumber when I relate that I salvaged quite a number of lengths of hemlock 2 x 4 (which is actually two by four inches…) from the circa 1940s “mud room” off our kitchen in our downtown Toronto “Vic brick” semi detached. This stuff was practically new at 70 years old and I have some in the garage still as it’s very rot resistant and sound, unlike the stuff that looks like pulpy poplar today.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: