Skip to content

Been another expensive week, but….

February 18, 2012

The materials are coming together finally. That massive piece of pipe for the shaft log arrived, as did the used pedestal I picked up from a fellow in the US. The cutlass bearing arrived a few days ago, and I finally got a source for the propellor shaft and managed to get the old prop shaft and coupling separated.

That little escapade ended up being one of those “How could I be so stupid” moments. When I was mucking about with it, I popped out what I thought was the pin holding the coupling on. It would not come off, so I figured it needed to be heated.

First I went to my locals marine maintenance shop, Bristol Marine here in Port Credit. Their reply was, (after a ” why are you bothering me look”) that they charge a minimum 1 hour for labor, $108 plus taxes. So much for that.

I then went to my old auto mechanic, where we spent the next hour trying to take that damn thing apart. We heated it, beat on it, cursed it and finally went to cut it in half with a cutoff disk. even then it would not budge. Finally Andy looked at me. ..

“Are  you sure the pin is out?” Well, Yes. You can run a dowel in one side and out the other. ….
There appeared to be two split pins in the hole, both of which I assumed were short stubs to keep the pin in. Wrong. They were two ends of a full length split pin. @(}$I!@@@!!!!

Anyway, if the shaft wasn’t punched before, being scored, galled and otherwise mucked up, it sure is now. But with the coupling off, I can now put it back into the boat and have an idea on how long to make the new one.

I’ve also put in the order for the steel for the mounts, and I’ll pick that up on Tuesday.  Hopefully I can get started on jigging up the mounts on Wednesday or Thursday. Friday is out, I’m off to spend some time with Als’ wife and son.

Here’s a photo of my engine dummy and the bearer rail dummy. The bearers are set the correct distance apart to support the engine mounts and the dummy is a rough representation of the space occupied by the engine. The shaft end is calculated out to be that of the transmission coupling, drive saver and shaft coupling. Using these and setting the bearer rails up or down to the minimum clearance for the engine, I can slide the engine dummy back and forth and determine the amount of shaft log, the final prop shaft lenth, and how much space I’ve saved with the smaller engine. I’m hoping that with this smaller engine I’ve won back some of the cabin space that the dinosaur took up.

Ignore the fact that the photo is upside down. Taking a photo of it in its proper orientation was a tad too annoying.

 

 

From → Meat n Taters

One Comment
  1. I’ve always hated shaft couplers too. Perhaps its irrational. Everyone I know thats ever had to deal with one hates it too though.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: