Skip to content

Finally a productive few days…

November 24, 2012

Had some decent weather, the bod was functioning reasonably well and I got some things done. About time.

I got the winter cover up last week, and let it sit for a while to see if it needed tweaking. Putting the stringers between frames makes a huge difference and this time it actually sits properly, and is reasonably sealed against the elements. I adjusted the length of a couple stringers and put on a couple of wire ties I missed the first time round and so far so good. No more rain inside!

The next little task, took 3 days of off and on bashing, which was to get the floors back into some semblance of safe. As it was, there was a huge hole in the floors right over the deep bilge, with a couple of planks laid across it all last winter and all summer. The beams under the floors are of spruce, and after 30 some odd years, they are in pretty bad shape. I eventually pulled up the floors one bay at a time and resecured the cross beams with galvanized steel brackets, two per joint. Of course the screws they provide were piddly little 3/4 longs which didn’t really hold in the soft wood, so next day I redid them with 1 1/2 longs. Did the job. The open areas where the settees used to be had some extensions made for the floors and new pieces cut to fit, out of old scrap 1 x12 pine planks and other stuff left over. So, with the exception of a hole by the mast compression post, I once again have floors that can be walked on without fear. This is a good thing.

The next job was to build the work platforms under the cockpit so I can crawl in there and clean and paint the hull, before I drop the engine in place. Without a level platform to lay on, you are in for a painful session as you roll over the frames and bang into the engine mounts. Doing these also give me a better idea of the clearances for the engine and the galley cabinetry, and how my companion way steps will finally sit. They are currently not fastened at all, but now I know where to put the angle brackets needed to hold it securely in place.

The first job was the long beam running just inside the cabin. That one was easy, no overhead problems, and it is bolted down with supports under. The second cross beam is just about at the end of the engine bearers, and is also secured to the frames with bolts. That one was more awkward to finish, as there is nothing to lay on while working under the cockpit sole. Ergo, I need the platform. Fine, that is done.

I put some planks across the two beams and screwed them down, then crawled way under to measure the final beam, which is aft of the shaft log. Now that it is cut and bolted, I can lay planks across them and move about quite freely. They are removable so as I go, I can take a set out, scrap, clean and paint, then put it back in place. I’m thinking that since I won’t have quarterberths, I might build lockers under there for spares and the platform will allow me to crawl in and access them fairly easily.

Here’s a picture of the beams and partial platform.

 

Next week all that wiring and control cables come out, and I’ll get started on the scraping and cleaning. It should be interesting, the epoxy cures down to -6°C and we are getting there now. It’s going to drop to about -2 tonight, and then come back up some next week. Problem is, the epoxy takes 96 hours to cure at that temperature, so I suspect I’ll be cleaning an area and then painting it just before I go back to work for my four days on.  I’m debating on buying a couple of electric blankets to tie to the outside of the hull where I’m painting and use them to heat the skin.

Anyway, I’m content with what I got done so far. The next few weeks will be cleaning up the area around the engine, and then dropping the engine in to place finally. Then I can get rid of the lifting frame I keep running into in the cockpit and get that access hatch finished and bolted in place.

From → Meat n Taters

3 Comments
  1. Looks like things are finally starting to shape up pretty well. I have to say that engine space looks massive with nothing in it like that. I saw the photo and was like, wow, you could host a party in there!

  2. J.A.F.O. permalink

    Hey.. progress in the “putting stuff in” category, instead of “ripping shit out” category! Nice to see! Congrats! 8)

  3. yeah, Imagine the bunk I could build in under there if I didn’t need an engine. That beam at the stern end is 48 inches wide, the one at the cabin end is some 66 or 68. My next trick will be to schlep water down in jugs so I can heat it up on the hot plate and keep my epoxy from looking like molasses in the cold. Oh and a nice cup of tea now and again, (with rum of course) to take off the chill.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: