Skip to content

Prep work is done.

January 26, 2016

Finished all the items on the prep list, and have started to scale the inside between frames. The weather promises to be reasonable over the next few days and I again have a 3 day weekend, so I expect Wednesday will see a lot of rod burned. Once all the items on this list are completed I can move on to getting critical dimensions for the next parts, the rudder stock and the pulpit. The rudder stock is a 1-1/4 316 stainless rod, which has to be welded to my old rudder after the old 1-1/2 mild steel one is excised. I lose a bit of surface area by doing it this way but it’s faster than starting a new rudder from scratch. Once I get the right length I can order it and have a key way  milled into the top end.

The radial drive for the cable steering is keyed onto the shaft,  and by extending that shaft up a few inches past the drive I can have a socket made up which will extend up through the helmsman’s seat and become my emergency rudder. Never had a functional one on the boat, the old one was very humorous to see, it was 18 inches long, and fit a socket on top of the rudder post. Anyone using it would have to be sitting inside under the helmsman’s seat, no vision at all and taking orders by voice down the lazarette hatch. Utterly useless.

All the verticals on frame 3 have been knocked into position and clamped, and frame 3 itself is pretty straight so once the vertical is welded in on the centerline, the tee bar on center between frame 2 and 3 can be welded in. Once 3 is locked in place, a pipe clamp between it and frame 4 will pull 4 straight and allow the fitting of the next tee bar. And so on and so on, all the way back to frame 7.  Other jobs to be done, seal off the old forward hatch opening on the fore deck. Frame the new hatch location on top of the coach roof. Weld the base beam for the rear end of the pulpit to frame 1. Weld the forward mounting plate to the stem for the front end of the pulpit. Weld the galley vertical in place permanently. Weld in the rudder tube and the lower bracket.

If all goes well this should all be done by Friday. In the mean time, some photos finally.

First, the 2-1/2 x 3/8 slot being cut into the skin forward for the pulpit base. Lots of elbow grease with a flat file for this.

Pulpit base slot

Next we have the 3 forward verticals in place, ready to weld.

Pedestal in situ

Below: One bay partially scaled. The paint that is original comes off easily but where ever it peeled and was over coated with another paint, it sticks like glue, and even the scaler running at 90psi will not remove all of it. It’s gonna be a long job getting this mess cleaned up.

Partially scaled

Below: The pitting caused by water getting trapped behind the styrofoam insulation. That dark corner under the 2×3 is really bad, almost through the 1/8 inner skin. Thankfully there is a second skin on the lower chine, and all the really bad rust is in that area so it never penetrated. Not sure what I’m gonna do here, there is one spot on the port side where the patch was put in where there is about 2 square feet of inner skin missing.

Pitting

Below: Here you see the way the foam was stuck down with mastic. In the lower left corner you see where the scaler has been banging away. Not too bad. The paint is white, the light grey is mastic with dust and crud stuck to it. The upper chine is much more black and white. The scaler will chip off the paint and pound the mastic into a thin layer which can be removed with lacquer thinner when I do the final wash down prior to painting. If you look at the upper chine, middle bay you can see the evidence of the fire caused by an over heated water heater, which melted the original water tank, and the foam insulation. There is soot all over the place. The next bay forward of that (right side of pic) shows where the paint was completely destroyed, and the skin left untreated to rust.

To be scaled 2

Last but not least, the hole after the second attempt at sawing it straight, and you can see the marks on the right edge of the hole where I’ve started to use the die grinder. Next time I’m down I’ll take a photo of that area after it was all scaled and cleaned up. It looks a lot better when its scaled clean.

Die grinder 1

So there we are, hopefully my next post will have photos of some finished welding. One thing, I’ve finally turned the corner and it is no longer a demolition job. Finally new pieces are going into her and she is on the way back to life afloat.

On that note, I was asked if I was going to launch this year. I told them I would be ready but what would be the point since I can’t do any heavy work down on the dock without ruining everyone’s pleasure. So, unless they force me I’ll spend one last summer on the hard. It should be enough to make her livable, for the summer of 2017. Then I can pull the plug on Ma Bell. Fingers x’d.

 

From → Meat n Taters

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: